Come learn how to steek your knits! It’s not that scary, we promise. In this workshop, you will learn how to create a crochet reinforcement for your steek and how to cut your steek. You’ll also learn how to pick up stitches for a button band, and how to always pick up the perfect button band—no more guessing how to space out your stitches! As a finishing touch, you’ll also learn how to hand-stitch a ribbon to the inside of your steek.
You need something to steek! You can bring something you have ready, but please also also bring a practice swatch. For a swatch: Using smooth, worsted-weight wool and US8 needles, cast on 24 stitches. Work in stockinette until your piece is 5" long and bind off. Note: resist the urge to make your swatch longer! Trust me. If you don't have any crochet experience, please spend 10–15 minutes practicing how to do a crochet chain.
• your swatch
• US8 knitting needles
• darning needle
• extra yarn for knitting button bands
• sharp scissors
• contrast color yarn in a sport or fingering weight
• 3 mm (size D) hook. (Size of the hook isn’t critical, in the range of 2.5 to 3.5 mm is fine)
• 12" of ribbon for stitching inside your steek
• Hand-sewing needle and thread
• Sewing pins