Learn how to knit Portuguese style! Portuguese knitting is more efficient and easier on your joints, so it can help reduce strain and fatigue. In this style of knitting, the yarn is tensioned either around the neck or using a knitting pin. This unique method of tensioning the yarn allows both knit and purl stitches to be created with a simple flick of the thumb! In this workshop, we will work on a cowl that will teach you all the basic skills needed for Portuguese Knitting.
Technique Requirements: knit/purl; cast on/bind off; have knit a few accessories
Using smooth worsted weight yarn and US7 needles, cast on 100 stitches. Join, being careful not to twist. Place a beginning of row marker. Bring to class.
• 200 yards of worsted weight yarn with a smooth texture, such as Berroco Ultra Wool, for the cowl
• 50 yards of worsted-weight yarn with a smooth texture (just has to be a separate ball than the one attached to your homework)
• US7 16" circular knitting needles
• US7 or US8 knitting needles (an additional set, doesn't have to be circular)
• Stitch marker
• Optional: Portuguese Knitting pin (you can order online or buy directly from the instructor in person)