This is a two-part class. Both sections of the class will automatically be placed in your cart when you select one of the sessions.
Helix is an amazing technique for working in the round. Its main advantage is that it eliminates the jogs at the beginning of the rounds. This is very handy while knitting texture stitch patterns and color stripes.
1. In the theoretical part, the double helix principle will be explained, as well as the anti-helix—it is a very easy new method of working brioche rib in the round without purls, using one or two colors. The technique has never been published before.
2. In the practical part you will learn how to work without jogs in the following stitch patterns: stockinette stripes; garter stitch unicolored, one-row and two-row stripes; brioche rib and honeycomb brioche; Chinese wave and big herringbone (twice knit stitch).
The handout includes the instructions for the technique for different stitch patterns.
Technique Requirements: cast on/bind off, knit/purl, brioche, knitting in the round. You should be comfortable working smal-diameter tubes easily.
Please prepare 7 separate samples.
You can use Smooth Join to join in the round or any other method of your choice.
For sample 1 cast on 24 sts, work 3 rounds in 1x1 rib; 3 balls: 2 of the same color + 1 other color.
For sample 2 cast on 24 sts, purl 6 sts; 4 balls: 2 of each, 2 contrasting colors
For sample 3 cast on 25 sts, knit 1 round; 2 balls of the same color yarn
For sample 4 cast on 26 sts using thinner needles, knit 1 round; 3 balls: 2 of the same color and 1 other color
For sample 5 cast on 26 sts using thinner needles, knit 1 round; 2 balls of 2 different color yarns
For sample 6 cast on 23 sts, knit 1 round; 2 balls of 2 different color yarns
For sample 7 cast on 30 sts using thick needles; 2 balls of 2 different color yarns
•Any yarn in contrasting colors, a few balls for every sample as explained in the homework—each ball should be about 5-10 meters.
•A few sets of needles to work in the round (circular needles for Magic Loop):
- Four sets with needle size to match the yarn (samples 1, 2, 3, 6). Note, if 4 sets of the same size needles are not available, choose different yarns that require different size needles.
- Two sets of slightly thinner needles than recommended (samples 4 & 5) for Brioche rib.
- One set of thick needles, 1.5-2 times thicker than recommended (sample 7) for Twice Knit.
•Markers and scissors.