Learn a challenging but beautiful, seamless, circular tubular cast-on that leads perfectly into a circular double-knit fabric. On a small flat practice swatch, we will explore all the techniques needed to complete a center-out project; double increases (and how to resolve them into double knit format), double layer patterning and reading stitch-map-style charts, use of marker yarns, concluding with a threaded reverse stocking stitch border and crochet bind-off. This beautiful beginning can be used to start top-down DK hats, place mats, chair-pads, and blankets of infinite variety!
Technique Requirements: This class is for experienced double-knitters, confident in two-color negative/positive stocking stitch double knitting (flat or in the round).
• Lightweight dpns (set of 5 plus 2 additional dpns) in a size suitable for your yarn plus one spare dpn at least two size increments larger.
• One short-length straight dpn or straight cable needle in main size or smaller.
• Four 10-g balls of two brightly contrasting colors (2 of each) of worsted-weight yarn, plus a couple of yards/meters of similar weight, contrasting waste yarn for markers. (We will be working on two swatches simultaneously, hence needing four balls of yarn, and it will be easier if the two colors used are the same on both swatches.)
• One of your main yarns may be a variegated yarn if desired, provided contrast with the second yarn is always maintained.
• Scissors and crochet hook and usual knitting paraphernalia.