During this workshop we will discuss in detail several embroidery stitches that can be used on wool to embellish sweater or any of your knitted projects. By the end of this class you will not only have a beautiful small project that we work together, but also all the technical knowledge that you need to embroider your knits! Dario will guide you through all the steps to realize the stitches, give advice on wool embroidery, discuss how to draw a project on the stabilizer, and share tips and tricks in order to realize flawless embroidery without pain at all!
We will study the stitches the fun way: we will work straightaway on a small swatch together! This project includes some of the flat stitches, but it focuses more on 3D stitches like 3D flowers. 3D flowers can be used to create wonderful embroidery that pops out of your garment and can be worked on top of your accessories as well as garments. We will talk extensively about all of them, we will work them together and you will find schematics and instructions for all those stitches.
If you want to know more about Dario's embroideries to have an idea of what you can do with this technique, check him out on Instagram @rosso.cardinale.
Technique Requirements: knit/purl, cast on/bind off
Knit a swatch of approx. 10''x10'' (24x24cm) with DK or worsted yarn. Print and trace the template that (available in the Event Hub the week of the event) onto water-soluble stabilizer. The stabilizer is transparent or, if not, it will still let you see through so you will not have any problem! Just put the stabilizer on top of the printed template and trace it with a marker.
• Yarn: any kind of fingering yarn or mohair yarn you have in your stash. Any colour will do. Some worsted yarn to create the 3D flowers. (We will embroider flowers and leaves, so if you have the color green, I suggest to bring it to class).
• Knitted swatch - appox. 24 x 24 cm / 10" x 10" (it needs to fit in the hoop)
• Wash-away water-soluble embroidery stabilizer (easily available on Amazon; one brand is New Brothread Wash Away Embroidery)
• Embroidery Hoop (approx. 22 cm /9" diameter)
• Downloaded and printed template that you will find in the syllabus (available in the Event Hub the week of the event)
• Tapestry needles (make sure that the wool you are using passes through the eye)