Designing Stitch Motifs with Traveling Cables (NEW!)
In this class the students will learn how to use different types of cables with combinations of knit and purl stitches to create embossed-looking, free-flowing stitch motifs in their knitting. Alana will show examples of how she's used these various techniques in her personal design work and explain their application. The students will experiment with different cabling techniques as a class and then will have free time to play and create their own free-flowing design on a baby hat worked in the round. Basic pattern for the hat will be provided.
Technique Requirements: Knit/purl; cast on/bind off; increase/decrease; working in the round; cables; chart reading
• Your own measurements to help you make informed decisions about sweater fit
• The elements of ease and how they apply to fit
• How to read between the lines of a pattern
• The nitty gritty of gauge and what it does to sizing
• How to choose a pattern that works for your body shape
• How to find the perfect length for your sweater
• And more!
Technique Requirements: Knit/purl; cast on/bind off; increase/decrease; working in the round; have knit a whole garment; basic finishing techniques