Learn a seamless, circular tubular cast-on that leads perfectly into a double-knit fabric. Once double knitting in the round is established, we will look at stitch-map style charts, how to set up a double-layer pattern with double increases (and how to resolve them into double-knit format) before concluding the medallion with a threaded reverse stocking stitch border and bind off. This beautiful beginning can be used to start top-down DK hats, placemats, chair-pads and blankets of infinite variety!
Technique Requirements: knit/purl, cast on/bind off, increase/decrease, working in the round, Experienced double-knitters, confident in two colour negative / positive stocking stitch double knitting (flat or in the round).
• Lightweight dpns (set of 5) in a size suitable for your yarn plus one spare dpn at least two size increments larger.
• One short-length straight dpn or straight cable needle in main size or smaller.
• 10 g each of two brightly contrasting colors of worsted-weight yarn, plus a couple of yards/meters of similar weight, contrasting waste yarn.
• One of your main yarns may be a variegated yarn if desired, provided contrast with the second yarn is always maintained.
• Scissors and crochet hook and usual knitting paraphernalia.