This is a two-part class. Both sections of the class will automatically be placed in your cart when you select one of the sessions.
In this workshop, Julie Weisenberger teaches the Cocoknits Method of sweater knitting, outlined in her book Cocoknits Sweater Workshop . We will cover the first four sections of the Cocoknits Method, including instruction on how to use the Cocoknits Method Worksheet in coordination with colored stitch markers.
A pattern for a baby sweater will be provided, which students may consider a practice swatch, or work to completion on their own.
Technique Requirements: knit/purl; cast on/bind off; increase/decrease; have knit a few accessories; basic finishing techniques
Familiarize yourself with the increases KLL, KRL, PLL, PRL - we have videos of each one on our website (cocoknits.com) as well as written instructions in the book. Gauge is not really important for baby sweater, but you can do a swatch just to make sure that you enjoy working with the needles size and yarn you've chosen.
A handout will be made available in the Event Hub in the week of the event, please download and print it prior to class. The last page (with the worksheet) should be printed in color if at all possible!
- 300–400 yards of worsted / bulky / chunky weight yarn
- for baby sweater gauge 16 st/24 rows to 4in.
- pattern is a 12 month size, larger gauge yarn will yield larger size sweater. If you are merely knitting a sample to learn the method, gauge does not matter.
Note it is helpful to use a light colored yarn that is fairly smooth (not boucle, for instance) and easy to work with and see your stitches.
- circular needle appropriate for your chosen yarn, usually a US 8–11. Needle should be 30" or longer with a soft, flexible cord.
-one skinny (US 0–2) circ needle (any length) or dpn for picking up sts.
- 6 colored stitch markers (red, green, orange, blue, violet, yellow)
- pencil, scissors
- smartphone or tablet to view technique videos.